Being Overwhelmed

Being overwhelmed is not the greatest feeling. This year is my first year teaching. I would not change it for the world, but it can be very stressful, especially lately. I feel as if I wind up doing way more than I can handle. This semester is my first semester of graduate school. In all honesty, the combination of the two- first year teaching and first semester of grad school, have been pretty overwhelming for me. 
I have three sections of Social Studies to teach. I teach ELLs, 9th grade General, and 9th grade Honors. At one point, I had 45 students in one class- some of them were sitting on the floor! That issue has now been resolved, thankfully. 
I often have trouble deciding how many assessments, and what kind of assessments, to give my students. Sometimes I wonder, should I give them two quizzes? Should I give them a project and a test? Is this assessment differentiated enough? Has it been modified properly? Are my activities engaging enough? I feel I am constantly second guessing myself. 
I realize now, I probably should have only taken one graduate class this semester, instead of two. I feel as if I am falling behind for graduate school. This is a bit upsetting to me, because I am a very devoted, organized, and hardworking student. 
I have hopes that with the Thanksgiving break coming up, I will be able to catch up on work, become more organized, and make sure I am continuously being a good teacher and good student! 

Vocabulary Defined
Overwhelmed- A way of feeling in which a person feels they have to many things to do at one time and get emotional. 
Combination- Joining together of different things.
ELLs-  English Language Learners
Honors- More advanced level of learning/teaching. 
Resolved- Figured out, fixed.
Assessments- Ways of measuring growth and development.
Differentiated- Made differently for different kinds of students/learners.
Modified- Adapted to be clearer to students. 
Properly- Correctly.
Engaging- Keeping students interested. 
Devoted- Committed.
Continuously- Without interruptions or gaps. 

Vocabulary Exercises 

1. Think of, and list, 2 synonyms for the word "Continuously."


2. Create a sentence using the word "resolved."


3. Fill in the blank: "Her hat was not on                                       ,  so it flew off." 

Grammar Point
Singular and Plural: Singular, means one. Plural, means more than one. The distinction between singular and plural can typically be seen through adding "-s" or "-es" to the end of words. 

Grammar Exercises 

1. Underline 4 examples of plural items in the paragraph above.

2. Fill in the blank using the correct version of the word "shirt/shirts."
     -I have a lot of                                        .
     -My favorite                               is my Red Hot Chili Peppers one. 

3. Choose three words and write down the singular and plural versions of each word! 

Comments

  1. So sorry that you are feeling overwhelmed. It is quite understandable, but you will get through it.

    The entry is well done and thorough. Be careful with your vocabulary definitions. Try making them a little more "user-friendl: modified -- changed, continuously -- all the time ...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hawaii 5-0

My Best Experiences