The Beach


The beach means a lot to me. It is my escape, it is my happy place, it is where I go to hangout, it is where memories are made. I love the waves. My friends do not always like to go in the water when we go to the beach. I however, absolutely love it. The rhythmic feeling of the waves splashing on your face, the salty taste, the feeling of peace that washes over you knowing you are one with the sea. 
The ocean brings so much beauty to this world. Its water can be murky, green, and rough, calm or crystal clear. Beaches surrounding the ocean can be rocky, smooth, sandy, black or white. They are homes to so many different kinds of wildlife. Wildlife that humans often time have issues respecting, but that is a point for another day.

Image result for seaglassMy favorite thing the ocean has to offer is the seaglass. I collect seaglass, I hope to be able to make  table top of it one day. Seaglass is beautiful. Blue, red, green, brown, clear, its color adds to its story. 
When I pick up a piece of seaglass from the water, I often find myself wondering about its story. 
Maybe this is a piece of glass from Colombia. Maybe a young woman was enjoying a beautiful sunset with her friends, drinking from a bottle, laughing and smiling. Maybe it was from a somber man in Africa, having a drink on a beach wishing he was somewhere different. You truly never know where a piece of seaglass comes from, it is a fascinating, beautiful mystery. 


The vast, blue, daunting ocean has the ability to make the strongest person feel small and timid. That is an extremely powerful thing to do. I feel it is important to appreciate the beach and the ocean, it helps to keep one's ego in check, whether one realizes it or not...

Vocabulary Defined
Rhythmic- Occurring regularly in a rhythm, pulsing.
Murky- Unclear, sometimes dirty, or foggy 
Seaglass- Pieces of weathered down glass found at the ocean or beach.
Somber- Sad
Fascinating- Very interesting
Vast- Large, deep
Daunting- Intimidating
Timid- Shy, nervous
Appreciate- To be thankful for 
Ego- One's self-esteem or self-image. 

Vocabulary Exercises
1. Which word above best fits the following sentence: My friend helped me out very much when I needed it, I                                                                her so much.

2. Write down other words that are similar the word "somber."

3. Use the word "fascinating" in a sentence.
                                                                                                                                                                      . 

Grammar Point
Adjectives-Adjectives are words that describe or modify (in this case) nouns.

Grammar Point Exercises 
1. Circle 5 adjectives used in the excerpt above. 

2. Underline the adjectives in the following sentence: The big, round, yellow, moon was shining extremely bright. 

3. Create your own sentence using adjectives! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hawaii 5-0

Being Overwhelmed

My Best Experiences